Parish Office &
Mailing Address:
13 North Main Street
Lambertville, NJ 08530

Church Location:
44 Bridge Street
Lambertville, NJ 08530

St. Agnes:
South Main Street
Stockton, NJ 08559

Office Hours:
Monday - Thursday
9:00am - 2:00pm

Phone:
(609) 397-3350

Fax:
(609) 397-8713

ParishGivingLogo200

facebook-32x32

Name

About

Pastor: Very Rev. Robert B. Kolakowski
Director of Religious Education: Veronica McCabe
Convent Superior: Sister Marie Conaughton, T.R.H.
Director of Operations: Robert McCaffrey
Parish Office: Administrative Assistant 

The Parish Pastoral Council is a visioning and planning body of parishioners who foster full participation of the entire parish in the life and mission of the church as lived out in Saint John the Evangelist Parish.  In consultation with the Pastor, the council actively listens to and identifies the needs and concerns of the people and develops a parish pastoral plan to respond to these needs. The Council also seeks to implement the plan through the involvement of our parishioners.

May all of our parishioners grow deeper in:

  • a desire for spiritual growth in themselves and the Parish
  • an enthusiasm about the future direction of the Parish
  • a willingness to listen, to speak honestly and to work toward consensus
  • the ability to inspire and empower others to delegate
  • flexibility and openness with people and ideas.

Parish Council Members Are:

Office                                              Parish Council                       Contact Information

Chair                                                  Joseph Dimino                        joedimino@mac.com             
  
History                                               Nettie Eubank                         history@parishofsaintjohn.org

Outreach                                           Dolores Piacente                    drp@insidearchitecture.com

Spirituality                                         Kathy & Craig Ronning           kfr1223@aol.com

Liturgy                                               Susan Polomski                      susanpolomski@yahoo.com 

Environmental                                  Judy Rudderow                       jmr23@comcast.net

Welcome                                           Grace Sconzo                        grace@parishofsaintjohn.org

Finance Committee                          Tim Rudderow                         tjrudderow@gmail.com

Men's Group                                     Christopher Nagy                    dr.chris.nagy@gmail.com

 

 

The Parish Finance Council assists the pastor in meeting his parish financial and temporal management obligations. The Parish Finance Council members meet regularly to consult, listen and contribute to discussion and to promote consensus between the parish and the pastor. The Parish Finance Council has no decision making authority.

Catholics settled in Hunterdon County New Jersey as early as the 1740s, and for nearly 100 years they were cared for by Jesuits from Old St. Joseph Church on Willings Alley in Philadelphia or by Augustinians from Philadelphia. With the establishment of St. John Parish in Trenton, Father Daniel McGorian and Father John Gillian would occasionally visit Lambertville. By 1840, with nearly 100 members, land was purchased and the original church was built, which was dedicated on June 8, 1843. In 1853, Father Patrick Hannegan was assigned the first resident pastor.

As the town grew, additional property was purchased, and a school was opened in 1865. In 1887, the original church was closed, and plans were made for the present structure, which was dedicated on October 23, 1893. The church was renovated several times, most especially by Father Thomas Ridge in 1954 with new marble altars.

In 1965, Father Russell Loughman initiated a fund drive for a new school building, which was dedicated by Bishop George W. Ahr on October 21, 1967. While the school closed in 1973 due to declining enrollments, the building serves parish religious education needs.

history-03
Bishop Ahr dedicates our new school and convent on October, 21, 1967

In 1983, The Jesus School, a preschool program, opened during the pastorate of Father (now Msgr.) Seamus Brennan. In 1993, a major restoration of the church was completed during the pastorate of Father Edward M. O’Neill in time for the 150th Anniversary of the parish and the 100th Anniversary of the dedication of the church.

history-01
Our Sisters of Mercy and priests at the Jubilee Dinner in June 1946.

Additional repairs have been completed, and a Hispanic apostolate was begun by Msgr. Leon J Kasprzyk, pastor from 1995 until his retirement in 2009.

Father Robert Kolakowski, J.C.L. served Saint John the Evangelist Parish for 18 months as administrator before being installed as pastor on September 11, 2010 by Bishop Paul G. Bootkoski.

history4-new
Father Robert Kolakowski and Bishop Paul Bootkoski at Installation Mass.

St. Agnes Mission Church in Stockton was established in 1919. Catholics in Stockton have gathered since 1900 at the Daniel Bodine Hall. A donation from Mrs. Agnes Foran Shields of Flemington made it possible to dismantle a house on the site, and its stones were used in the construction of the chapel, which has been under care of St. John the Evangelist Parish since 1920.

To read more historical information on the Catholic Church in Hunterdon county New Jersey, please visit the History page on the following websites:  www.diometuchen.org and www.dioceseoftrenton.org.

 

St. John the Evangelist Cemetery Rules and Regulations

To facilitate upkeep of St. John’s Cemetery by our maintenance staff, please read and abide by these rules and regulations, based on the guidelines of the Diocese of Metuchen:

You are here:About

© 2012 St. John the Evangelist Catholic Church | Site Map

Site by C2